There are many decisions to make when creating new user accounts and assigning access privileges. For example, deciding which users will have access to sensitive information, such as financial reports, customer sales activities, and vendor payments.
The following topics are covered in this help article:
- Connected System Administrator
- Adding New User(s) to Connected
- Granting Access to Reports and other Options
- Cloning (Duplicating) User Accounts
- Advanced User Privilege Settings
When you first receive the CONNECTED Software or create a new company data file, there is a single user account with the default Logon Name set to MASTER and the Password is set to CONNECTED. The default name and password can be changed at any time and you can set as many levels of password access as required.
WARNING: It is strongly recommended this default name and password is changed, since they can be found by anyone reading the text of this document.
The default user (MASTER/CONNECTED) is set to have administrative privileges. A System Administrator has access to ALL screens, reports and settings, and is responsible for setting up new users and passwords, as well as modifying others.
WARNING: Make sure that you do not forget your System Administrator name and password. If you are unable to find this information you will be required to send your data file to the Connected Support Department so that they can provide the correct name and password.
The System Administrator(s) can configure each user to allow for certain levels of access to the software. For example, you may give a user the ability to view and browse check information in the Payment window, but not the ability to add or modify payments.
NOTE: You should change the password on your data file on a regular basis to ensure that the password does not become commonly known.
Only users with access to the User Privileges window can add or modify user settings. When setting up a new user, it is necessary to configure the access settings for all areas of the program. For example, if the user is to have access to Accounts Payable, you must select the A/P tab in the User Privileges window and set up the options that they will have access to.
NOTE: CONNECTED does not give access to any functions, in any modules, when a new user is added. You can quickly assign all privileges by using the Actions menu described below.
To add a new user:
1) Select User Privileges from the File menu.
2) This will open the following User Privileges window.
3) Click Add. The Log On Name and Password fields become blank.
4) Type in the Log On Name. This is the name the user will type each time they log on.
5) Type in the Password. This is the password the user will type each time they log on.
6) Select the System Administrator checkbox if the user has this level of access.
7) Enter a Title or select from the drop down menu.
8) You must enter either a First Name or Last Name so that when the user adds notes and activity is updated in the "Record Info" for any transaction entry.
See the following article for more info on "Record Info" (aka Audit Trail)
9) Choose to use the Company phone/fax or enter the Phone and Fax in the fields provided.
10) Enter an Email address, which will be associated with the user account.
11) Select the Company Contact checkbox. Selecting this checkbox will make this user available as a Company Contact when addressing email messages and sending PDF form attachments.
12) New users have access to no screens/reports/options. To enable specific access to different modules select the appropriate tab, A/R for example, and select the options for the new user. The screen below shows an example of a users configuration for the A/R module.
13) To grant a user access to all privileges shown under the active tab, A/R as shown in the screen above, click the Action menu in the top left corner of the window and select Grant All Privileges Shown.
14) Press ENTER or click to check mark icon to save the information.
Remember that all features and reports will not be accessible to new users until the System Administrator selects them. To test the user’s access privileges that you've made, select Exit from the File menu and log into CONNECTED again with the new user's login name and password.
To modify a user’s privileges and grant access to specific reports, posting options, importing, and other options:
1) Select User Privileges from the File menu to open the User Privileges window.
2) Locate the user that you wish to modify by selecting them from the list below the heading Users, located in the left pane of the window.
3) Click the Modify icon to edit the selected user.
4) The right pane of the window contains a scroll-able list of available items based on the tab that is selected. The following screen shows a user account being modified within the A/R selections for Reports.
5) A feature or report with a check mark beside it means it is available to the user. The following screen shows the A/R selections for Other options.
6) Press ENTER or select the check mark icon to save the updated user information.
Cloning (Duplicating) a User
Sometimes a company will have many users that need to be assigned the same user privileges. Cloning a user that has a common set of privileges assigned can help save time when enabling new user accounts.
For example, when a company uses the timesheet portion of the J/C Module, often timesheet users will have access to the same items: Timesheets Window (all options except delete), and the Timesheet Transaction Report.
To clone (duplicate) an existing user:
1) Open the User Privileges window from the File menu.
2) Highlight the user that you wish to clone on the left pane of the window under the heading Users.
3) Click the Clone icon.
4) Enter a unique Log On Name and Password.
5) Enter either a First name or Last Name.
6) Confirm all user settings for each module by clicking the appropriate tab. These should be reviewed because this new user is based on an existing users settings.
7) Press ENTER or click the check mark icon to save the new user.
There are unique user privileges that can be assigned with advanced settings in specific areas of Connected. Some examples of these are:
Field Specific Access in the A/R Customers Window Privileges
The Customers window supports field level access so that a user can be designated to edit select fields. For example, you may want a customer service employee to be able to edit customer address information but not edit sensitive information like Credit Limits, Payment Terms, and/or Sales Reps.
Access to edit/view Price, Discount, and Term Code for all A/R Windows
Specific users can be blocked from editing the Price and/or Discount fields in the all A/R windows (Account Invoice, Sales Order, Sales Quote). This is useful when fixed pricing is being used and should not be changed or discounted by specific users. The Price/Discount fields will be visible, but cannot be changed. Additionally, if enabled, this will save up to two TAB stops per line for data entry.
Block access to view Cost/Margin on Sales Orders
If margins and costs should be blocked from the view specific users, then these fields can be hidden in the Sales Quotes, Sales Orders, and Account Invoice windows.