Note: The following article is pertains to Connected Version 10.2 or greater.
Related articles: Inventory Item Images
Related articles: Attaching Files to Notes (Version 10.1 or below)
- Enabling File Attachments
- Using and Linking (Attaching) Files to Notes
- Linking Email Files and Text to Notes
Connected allows a user to add file attachments to any window where Notes are present. This includes all transaction windows and primary records such as, Customers, Vendors, Inventory Items, Jobs, Accounts and also the Bank Reconciliation. In addition, system generated emails for documents like invoices and purchase orders can also be stored in as attachments in notes, along with the text of the email.
When an attachment is added, the file is copied to a designated folder on a server. Note attachments can be opened anytime by clicking the hyperlink embedded in the Note. There is no file type or size limit of the attachments that can be added. However, for a user to open an attachment, they must have the application needed to view it. For example, if a user attached an Excel spreadsheet to an invoice, any user wanting to view that attachment would need Excel installed on their local computer to open and view the file.
Enabling File Attachments
To enable file attachments in a company datafile and designate a folder for storage:
1) Select Company Set up from the File Menu and choose General Setup.
2) If an attachment path has not been established the following message will appear.
3) Click the Options Tab to display the following screen:
4) Select the "Allow files to be attached to notes" checkbox option.
5) Click the "Select File Storage Folder" button, and select the "storage folder" for attachments that was created. The storage folder should be a network drive that is shared for all users.
NOTE: Connected allows a different path name to be established for both macOS and Windows accessing the data file. For users on either platform to see all attachments, both attachment paths should be pointed to the same location, understanding that the file paths will be different for the same location for macOS and Windows based computers.
If the folder is not specified, the following message will appear each time a user logs into Connected.
WARNING: It is very important to review the location and storage of file attachments with your network administrator. Since files are maintained externally from the Connected data file, they will also need to be backed up separately. Backing up Connected data DOES NOT BACK UP THE FILE ATTACHMENTS.
6) Click OK once the folder has been specified in order to exit the General Company Setup Window.
Using and Linking (Attaching) Files to Notes
Virtually all Connected windows have the option to add custom user Notes. Attaching files to the Notes is a great way to keep information easy to access and relevant. Each Note tracks the date, time, and user that added the note. When a Note has been added, the Notes icon changes to include writing on it.
Note Icon - No Notes entered
Note Icon - with notes entered, includes writing and the page folded up on the bottom left.
To add a Note and attach a file:
1) Click the Notes Icon on the top of the record window. The following window will open. Click Add (+) and the cursor will move to the "Regarding" field. This can be used to record a brief description of the file being attached. It is not required, but it is recommended.
2) Click the + under the Attachments field to add a file attachment to the Note.
NOTE: If the Attachments box is not showing in the Note window, the Attachment folder is not set up. Please contact your System Administrator.
3) Click the (+) and navigate to where the file being attached is currently saved. Select it and press Open to attach the file to the note.
4) Press SAVE to save the Note and attachment.
5) To access the attached file, click the hyperlink in the notes window.
Linking Email Files and Text to Notes
To assist in documenting that a transaction has been sent via email to a given set of email addresses, when emailing from Connected, a Note with the email details can be added.
For example, an Account Invoice is being issued to a client via email. A note containing the email details can be added as a Note to the Account Invoice.
In the Account Invoice window, select the Invoice to be sent, click the Email icon and select the recipients. Enter the text of the email or select an email template to assist with the text. Select the Add note with email details checkbox as shown below.
A note will then be created, containing the email information as shown below.