There are three different types of Sales discounts. Sales discounts can be applied to Sales Quotes, Sales Orders, Account Invoices, Credit Memos, and Quick Invoices (customer Quick Invoices). Sales discounts are separate from custom pricing, explained in other articles within this topic, but can be used in conjunction with custom pricing methods.
Examples of how these types of discounts could be used include:
- 10% off all sales for a month for a selected customer(s)
- $/unit(case) discount
- New Customer discount
The available options are:
- % Line Discount - applies a % discount entered in on a per-line basis (default)
- $ Line Discount - applies a dollar amount discount entered in on a per-line basis
- % Customer Discount - applies a % discount to all orders for a specific customer
- How to Activate Sales Discounts in Accounts Receivable
- How to set User Privileges for Sales Discounts
- How to Use Accounts Receivable Discounts
How to Activate Sales Discounts in Accounts Receivable
- Go to File-=>Company Setup-=> A/R Defaults
- Select the Invoices tab, and then select the Discount Option you wish to use
NOTE: Only one "Discount Option" can be selected.
How to set User Privileges for Sales Discounts
The ability to apply these discounts can be assigned to specific users via User Privileges.
By checking the box "Modify Discount", a user will be able to enter a value in the discount box on a line item as an order/invoice is being entered, or modified.
If the "Modify Discount" user privilege is checked:
If the "Modify Discount" user privilege is NOT checked, this field is greyed out and not editable
How to Use Accounts Receivable Discounts
NOTE: A company can use only one sales discount option and it must be configured in the Company Set up correctly.
% Line Discount - Enter a % discount amount directly onto an individual line item. In this example, a 5.0% discount is being applied to a single line item. Using this method, discounts are always set to zero and can be edited on a line by line basis.
$ Line Discount - Enter a $ discount amount directly onto an individual line item. In this example, a $20 discount is being applied to one line, while a $10 discount is being applied to another one.
% Customer Discount - When selected, there will be a field available in the Customers window that will allow for a % to be entered. This discount will then be applied as a flat discount, to all orders placed for the specific customer, during the order entry process. Each time a line is added to Sales entry, the discount % will default to the one specified in the Customers window. The discount can still be edited, with user privilege, on a line by line basis.