The Inventory Item Query window, which can be used to view and query inventory items, has a unique ability to also generate Purchase Orders from the filtered item results. Using the Quick Find and/or Advanced Query, a custom item list can be pushed to the PO Generation window for bulk purchase order creation.
TIP: The PO Generation window is also available when using the Restocking or MRP Reports.
The PO Generation window supports multiple vendors and multiple locations for purchase order creation.
To send the results of the Item Query window to the PO generation window:
1) Create a quick look up or custom query to filter items by detailed fields and/or quantity metrics.
2) Select the Create PO Action, as shown in the following screen.
WARNING: Unlike using the PO Generation from the Restocking report, using the Create PO Action from the Inventory Item Query window does not check or warn if there are unposted PO’s. It is recommended that Purchase Orders are posted prior to making restocking commitments to avoid duplication and over purchasing.
3) The “Create Purchase Orders” window will open on top of the Item Query window.
4) Choose a Purchase Order Date and then select from either the Primary Vendor or Select Best Price buttons. Either selection will fill the PO Qty field, based on the Reorder quantity specified in the inventory items window.
5) Click Proceed or the X to cancel. If Proceed is selected, a final message will appear confirming the amount of Purchase Orders, Items, and Vendors that will be used.
7) Click Yes to proceed or No to cancel.
A few items to consider when creating purchase order from the inventory item query window:
- If an item does not have a vendor specified, the item will appear in the PO generation window but no quantity can be selected and/or Purchase Order created
- Reorder quantities do not have to be used. Each line can have a custom quantity entered manually.
- When Purchase Orders are created, they are unposted.